Rwanda : Fire guts Isango star radio premises
A fire swept through Isango star radio station based in Kigali on Saturday 12th Jan at around 6:00 Am and destroyed property worth millions of Rwandan francs.
According to the night shift technician claimed that fire broke from sealing where electric wires join due to electric shock and spread into the studio with the support of sound proof substances that attracted fire more.
Fire brigade officers arrived after 30 minutes later and managed to rescue some properties and stop fire which was threatening to attack neighboring buildings.
The head of fire fighters revealed to the press that the fire wouldn’t have spread first to destroy such huge properties, if the radio station had anything like fire extinguisher.
Isango star radio broadcasts on 91.5 frequencies lost some studio materials like microphones, chairs, sound proofs, however the police managed to rescue important radio instruments like mixers and computers.
According to the CEO Justin Mugabo of Isango star who was at the scene revealed that fire must have been caused by poor installation of the studios which triggered electric shock.
There were no recorded human injuries since the fire broke out early morning before the journalists reached at work.
It is estimated that the radio station might take a little while off air as the installations of sound proofs and studios is in progress.
Last year Kigali city also witnessed fire tragedies that left two Kigali nightspots Cadillac night club and Down town bar burnt to ashes.